November 22, 2015

Scouting in Poland

Poland is one of the first country where the scouting was started - it was in 1910. It is very early, because Robert Baden-Powell, the creator of the scouting (in Polish harcerstwo), established his first patrol (zastęp) in 1908.

In my opinion, Poland is one of the last country where the scouting is still at the same level as at the beginning. In Polish scouting camps you spend three weeks in a forest, without electricity nor running water... For me it's what it should be looking. Meanwhile, in the Western Europe they very often sleep in buldings (instead of military tents) and they have access to every modern utilities. It is nothing more than a normal camp, it's only the name which is different.

I know it because I participated in a big scouting meeting, called "Jamboree". It is organised every four years. Fortunately, in 2011 it was in Sweden, so very close to Poland :) (In this year 2015 it was organised in Japan, so I didn't take part - too far and too expensive).

A big event was meeting with the president of Poland... However, in 2011 Poland has a presidency in Belgium, so Mr Komorowski was too busy. Instead of him, there was his wife. I think it was better, because she's not as funny as her husband :D She is very serious, but also she is a warm person and she is always smiled. I'm really happy I had a chance to meet her. 


In Jamboree I met a lot of interesting people from every continent. It was a good opportunity for me to learn more about mentality of people from other countries. 

Me, pretty Japanese girl called Yuko and my friend Ewa

I haven't regretted at all I participated in Jamboree.


No comments:

Post a Comment